STUDENT CONTACT HOURS
This course satisfies the training requirements of OSHA Construction Safety and Health Outreach Program.
Construction workers who work at, or are likely to work at, hazardous waste remediation projects and/or DOE environmental remediation projects.
This course is not specifically required by any standard. It is based on, and fulfills the requirements of the OSHA Construction Safety and Health Outreach Program. This is a voluntary safety and health training program, which is widely accepted and used in the construction industry.
Instructor lecture with student questions and discussion.
Small group student activities.
Demonstration of equipment and procedures.
232-page student manual: Teamsters Construction Safety and Health Training.
Case studies for student analysis and discussion in small groups.
Videos and slides showing safe construction safety practices.
- One instructor may teach this course.
- This course must be taught over a minimum of 2 days. The class time cannot exceed 7Â½ hours per day.
- Completed this course as a student and have current certification as an OSHA Construction Safety and Health Outreach Program instructor.
- Completed the OSHA 500 Train-The-Trainer course for this course.
- Completed the annual IBT Instructor Development Program
- Taught this course under the supervision of an experienced instructor.
- Evaluated by the Principal Investigator
TESTING AND PERFORMANCE EVALUATION
OSHA requires that students pass a short multiple choice test to complete this course.
MODULES AND LEARNING OBJECTIVES
This course includes one hour on each of ten topics. Some topics are always included. Other topics are chosen to meet the needs of the particular site or group of workers. Mandatory and optional topics are listed below.
MODULE 1: INTRODUCTION TO OSHA (2 HOURS MINIMUM)
- OSHA History.
- The Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970.
- The General Duty Clause.
- General Safety and Health Provisions.
- The Competent Person.
MODULE 2: FOCUS 4â€™s (2 HOURS MINIMUM)
- 1. Electrical Hazards (15 Minutes Minimum)
â€” Recognizing construction site electrical hazards.
â€” Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI’s).
â€” Overhead and buried electrical hazards.
- 2. Fall Protection (15 Minutes Minimum)
â€” Hazards of working at heights.
â€” Other safe working practices.
- 3. Caught in Between (15 Minutes Minimum)
- 4. Struck-By (15 Minutes Minimum)
MODULE 3: PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (30 MINUTES MINIMUM)
MODULE 4: HEALTH HAZARDS (30 MINUTES MINIMUM)
MODULES 5: ADDITIONAL SAFETY TOPICS (MUST COVER 2, 2 HOURS MINIMUM)
- Materials Handling (If not already used for Module 4)
- Cranes, Derricks, Hoist, Elevators and Conveyors (If not already used for Module 4)
- Motor Vehicles, Mechanized and Construction Equipment (If not already used for Module 4)
- Scaffolding (If not already used for Module 5)
- Excavations (If not already used for Module 5)
- Stairways and Ladders (If not already used for Module 5)
- Fire Protection and Prevention
- Tools -Hand and Power
- Toxic and Hazardous Substances
- Confined Spaces
PLEASE NOTE: The above times are only minimums. The other 4 hours of the course should be devoted to either covering other safety topics that the workers will face or covering the above topics in greater detail.